Venue
THE RING, BLACKFRIARS ROAD
SOUTHWARK, LONDON· ENGLAND· 12 bouts linked to this venue
Notes
Built in 1783, The Ring arena was originally called the Surrey Chapel, until the strange shaped building was bought by former British Lightweight champion Dick Burge and his wife Bella in 1910.
They named it simply, ‘The Ring’ and it would become the first indoor boxing ring for the working classes. Together they staged many boxing matches with well known fighters such as Len Johnson, Jack Drummond, Alf Mancini, Jack Hood and the legendary Ted ‘Kid’ Lewis. Bella of Blackfriars’, as she was known, broke the taboo of women attending boxing bouts when in 1914 she and her actress friends were the first to become female regulars at ‘The Ring’.
During a daylight raid on 25th October 1940 a huge bomb landed on Blackfriars Road and seriously damaged The Ring but another bombing raid during March 1941 almost completely destroyed the building and it was eventually demolished.
Location
DirectionsThere is 1 other venue also named “THE RING, BLACKFRIARS ROAD”
- THE RING, BLACKFRIARS ROADSouthwark, London
Fights at this venue
| Date | Division | Boxer A | Boxer B | Result |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| 1936-01-05 | middleweight | GEORGE JAMES | JACK BARR | TKO |
| 1936-01-05 | light-heavyweight | FRANK HOUGH | FRANK MOODY | TKO |
| 1931-06-29 | featherweight | GEORGE DALY | LEN NICHOLSON | DEC |
| 1930-06-29 | lightweight | JACK FIFORD | MOE MOSS | DEC |
| 1920-08-19 | heavyweight | CHARLIE PENWILL | JACK STANLEY | KO |
| 1918-03-23 | bantamweight | DIGGER STANLEY | JOHNNY HUGHES | DEC |
| 1913-08-04 | heavyweight | BOMBARDIER BILLY WELLS | PAT O'KEEFE | KO |
| 1913-06-02 | flyweight | BILL LADBURY | SID SMITH | TKO |
| 1912-09-02 | heavyweight | MATTHEW CURRAN | GUNNER MOIR | KO |
| 1912-01-16 | heavyweight | TOM COWLER | BOB SCANLON | DEC |
| 1911-10-09 | heavyweight | FRANK MORAN | TOM COWLER | KO |
| 1911-09-06 | heavyweight | TOM COWLER | CHARLIE WILSON | TKO |